Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This version has lots of veggies, no sausage, but you can add it if you want.
- 1 lb dried kidney beans
- 1 lb smoked ham hock
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 large potato, pared and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, frozen chopped
- Wash and pick over beans, place in a kettle, add water to cover and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Check occasionally to make sure the beans are covered with water.
- Drain beans, return to the kettle along with the ham hocks and add enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham hocks, cool slightly, cut the meat from the bones and dice.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Add meat and carrots, and saute 3 minutes more. Add mixture to the kettle with the cabbage, potato, salt and pepper and 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook 2 minutes longer.