Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
You can use any mild, white fish fillets for this.
Make and share this Portuguese Baked Fish recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs haddock fillets, can use cod, flounder etc
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a baking dish. Place fish fillets in the baking dish, lightly sprinkle w/ salt & pepper and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter, then saute the onions, celery and tomatoes in butter until tender.
- To skillet, add veg juice, lemon juice, sugar, garlic and bay leaf; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce.
- Pour this sauce evenly over fish fillets in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until fillets are opaque.
Wonderful and easy! It has great flavors, colors and textures. I suggest serving over yellow rice!