Recipe by Deantini
Posted for ZWT 5 - Portugese Chicken recipe with influences from Africa. NOTE - most reviewers are noting that they use a full can of coconut milk as opposed to 1 cup.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We absolutely loved this dish! The only changes I made was to add the full can of coconut milk and I added red pepper flakes as I did not have the chilies. The chicken was really moist and the sauce had a wonderful flavor. Adding this one to my Best of 2012 recipes - it will be made often. Made for ZWT-8-Spain/Portugal.
- 4 lbs chicken, pieces
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander (or parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with ¼ tsp each of the salt and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, 2 tbsp water, ginger and remaining salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in coconut milk and peanut butter; let cool slightly.
- Transfer to food processor; purée until smooth. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet; add remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, in batches, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to roasting pan; cover with 1 cup of the sauce. Roast in 425°F oven for 30 minutes, basting twice.
- Mix remaining sauce with coriander and pour over chicken; cook until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 12 minutes.