A classic "snack" enjoyed by my husband's family while playing cards a few hours after a meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine (or more if you like)
- 2 tablespoons hot ground pepper, paste (Pimenta)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces beer (preferably a lager or 3/4 cup white wine)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 lb shrimp, 18/20 size peel on (I prefer zipperback headless shrimp, although my husband prefers the traditional head on shrimp)
- 1Place saucepan on burner at med. high heat, add olive oil and onions, saute until translucent (about 4-5 min.).
- 2Add garlic, pimenta and tomato paste stir until blended. You may have to thin this mixture out a little bit with some of the beer/wine.
- 3Add 1/2 of the parsley.
- 4Add shrimp, stir and saute for 2-3 minutes coating the shrimp with the tomato/pimenta mixture.
- 5Add remaining beer/wine and add water, just enough to cover.
- 6Cook on med. heat for approximately 10 minutes or until the shells are easily peeled from the shrimp. (note: I have been known to leave this on my stove for an hour or more. As long as there is still juice covering the shrimp they are okay. For some unknown reason you can't seem to over cook them).
- 7Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp from the cooking liquid and serve with remainder of parsley sprinkle over.
- 8Hint reserve the cooking liquid. It can be used: (a) to store leftover shrimp, if any, to reheat; (b) to cook white rice in (wonderful flavour); or (c) to dip crusty fresh bread into.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese (Acorean) Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.3
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 220.8 mg
- Sodium 324.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pepper paste