From "What's Cooking in Portugal" by Saul Krieg.
Make and share this Portugese Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb uncooked rice
- 3⁄4 lb boneless veal or 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 3 tomatoes, peeled
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- parsley, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10 ounces frozen peas, cooked
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- In a large pot, blend the olive oil, rice, chicken or veal pieces, tomatoes, garlic, onion, saffron, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place in a casserole and add the chicken stock. Cover and bake slowly in a 325 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the stock. Blend in the peas and mushrooms and cook for an additional seven minutes.
- Serve hot.
I made this as directed, lovely recipe, chicken was very tender and succulent and all the flavours blended together very well!! I did have to add more liquid, I felt the initial liquid was absorbed very quickly and the end result would have been a bit dry. However, I do like sauces and 'wet ' food, so that might have been just me :) We liked the addition of peas and mushrooms, gave it that something extra. very nice dish, made for ZWT 8, thank you, FLKeysJen!!!