Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From African Kitchen :South Africa. Preferably spatchcock a baby chicken or small sprig chicken by laying it on its back, breast side up. Cut through this side only so that chicken can be opened out .
- Use a blender to liquify bottom 7 ingredients and pour over the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Cover with foil and roast for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven, strain liquid and thicken by reduction in pot on top of stove.
- Meanwhile crisp the chicken up on slow open fire or under grill of stove if open fire or under grill of stove if open fire is not available. (Fire is first prize) Baste liberally with thickened sauce before serving.
- Serve with good savory rice, vinaigrette dressed salad, French fries and light, chilled frosty!
Delicious chicken!!! I made this as written with the exception of using two very large chicken quarters. I basted the chicken with some of the marinade while they were grilling. I made the sauce and served it over mashed potatoes for a wonderful dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for 123 Tag Game.
Oh, yum! this was really excellent! The marinade really had strong lemon and herbal notes, that made a great sauce once they were reduced. I used mostly a plain, dryish white wine, but only had 3/8 cup, so the last two tablespoons were dry vermouth (my usual substitute for white wine when I don't have a bottle open.) The chicken was tender and juicy, both in the light and dark meat, although I have to admit, once it got close, I checked every 5 minutes with a digital thermometer to make sure it didn't get too done. Once I was within 5 degrees F, I moved the liquid to the stovetop to reduce, and put the meat under the broiler to finish (rain today, so no cooking outside). Both light and dark meat eaters were pleased with the result, and the leftovers will be a pleasure to enjoy as well. This is well worth 5 stars, and good enough to serve for company, yet easy enough to make just for the family. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did tonight!