Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe has been posted for play in ZWT9 - Greece. This recipe is from website: Realgreekrecipes.blogspot.ca. A delicious, refreshing pie for the hot summer months! It can be served warm, or cold with ice cream. Please Note: Time is not included for filo pastry to dry out.
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 250 g Greek yogurt, strained
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 600 ml water
- 250 g sugar
- 2 oranges, zest of
- Leave the sheets of filo pastry out, separated and uncovered, to dry for a few hours.
- Crumble the sheets of filo.
- Put the olive oil and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk well with a metal whisker.
- Add the yoghurt, sugar and baking powder and continue whisking until you have a smooth cream.
- Add the crumbled filo pastry and mix in well with your hands.
- Put in an oven dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until it turns a golden colour.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup – boil the syrup ingredients in a pan for 5 minutes.
- After the pie is cold, cut into portions and spread the warm syrup on top.
- Eat and Enjoy!
This was good - a bit different, but good! I will definitely make this again, and will reduce the olive oil and try to find a lighter tasting olive oil, as the flavor was pretty pronounced. And I can't blame the recipe, but with the humidity here the phyllo didn't dry up the way I would have liked, so the texture was probably affected. The orange syrup was wonderful, though - so don't skimp on the sauce! This bakes up beautifully, and is really easy to make. If you're thinking about this too hard - don't! Go ahead and make it - you'll be pleasantly surprised! Thanks for posting, BK! Made for the Gourmet Goddesses, ZWT9.
This is a super easy and delicious cake. I can really recommend it and I will do it again.<br/>I prepared this during my vacations in Greece, with delicios oranges (the zest of them is really super tasty).<br/>I used a package (1 pound) of a phyllo quality for sweets. <br/>I will make this for my children as well as I know they will enjoy it very much.<br/>Thanks a lot for posting this wonderful recipe.