1 hr 5 mins
This version of Portokalopita is different from the others on this site. The recipe is an old family recipe and, not having made the others, I feel this one is probably richer and more flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon thyme honey (or other flavorful honey)
- 1 large orange, zest of, stripped
- 1In a saucepan over medium-high heat combine the water, sugar, honey and strips of orange zest. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes. Cover the saucepan and set aside to cool.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly oil an 8x11 baking dish.
- 3Unfold the phyllo dough and tear it into large pieces. Set aside, uncovered, while preparing the rest of the pie.
- 4In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the oil, sugar, vanilla, orange zest, yogurt and baking powder and whisk well.
- 5Pour the mixture into the baking dish then add the torn pieces of phyllo, pushing some pieces down slightly to coat.
- 6Bake the pie until set and golden on top, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and score lightly into pieces with a sharp knife. Pour the cooled syrup over the top. Let cool it completely before serving.
- 7Serving suggestion: place a piece of portokalopita on a plate and sprinkle with diced candied walnut pieces.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portokalopita - Greek Orange Pie
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.5
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.4 mg
- Sodium 340.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 48.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
oranges, zest of