Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from a Kiwi cookbook
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 500 g portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Place onions, butter, 2 Tbsp oil and sugar in a large saute pan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned and caramelised (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil in the pan and stir-fry the mushrooms until tender and browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add the onion mixture and the parsley and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the penne until just tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Toss the pasta into the mushroom mixture and toss with the reserved pasta water and Parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil just prior to serving.
- Nice served with a green salad and crusty bread or rolls.
Amazingly delicious! I added a little roasted garlic and it was perfect!! Thanks for the great post!