- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed (optional)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 ounces reduced-fat provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 whole grain buns, split and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.