Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Super fast and easy to make great for a busy mid week meal, leftovers a good too. Recipe was originally published in "Clean Eating" magazine in the May/June 2010 issue, page 33.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) packagesportobella mushroom caps, cleaned trimmed and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large casserole and saute the onions until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- 2. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute, then stir in mushrooms and thyme. Continue to cook over high heat until the mushrooms have softened and given off their juices, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatoes and cook until the mixture is thick, about 10 minutes. Serve over wheatberry, bulgur wheat pilaf or soft cornmeal polenta. Ragu can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 4 days, Garnish with additional thyme, if desired.