I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance. From: Ed Brown - Seagrill Restaurant
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups club soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups canola oil
- sea salt
PONZU SAUCE (SOY DIPPING SAUCE)
- 1For the Sauce: Mix the soy sauce, Ketjap Manis, Thai fish sauce, Mirin and rice wine vinegar.
- 2Add the ginger and marinate overnight.
- 3Strain the sauce through a fine chinois or sieve.
- 4For the Fries: Remove the stems and the gills from the bottom of the Portobello mushrooms.
- 5Cut the mushrooms like steak fries.
- 6Lightly dust the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- 7Mix the remaining flour, club soda, eggs and kosher salt to form a batter.
- 8Dip the Portobello fries in this tempura batter.
- 9Blanch the fires in the Canola oil at 325 degrees F.
- 10Drain on a dry towel and let cool.
- 11Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- 12Cook the blanched fries in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
- 13Drain on a dry towel and season with the sea salt.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portobello Mushroom Fries With Ponzu Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2723.4
- Calories from Fat 2483
- Total Fat 275.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 676.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar