Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance. From: Ed Brown - Seagrill Restaurant
- 8 portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups club soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups canola oil
- sea salt
PONZU SAUCE (SOY DIPPING SAUCE)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 slice fresh ginger, smashed
- For the Sauce: Mix the soy sauce, Ketjap Manis, Thai fish sauce, Mirin and rice wine vinegar.
- Add the ginger and marinate overnight.
- Strain the sauce through a fine chinois or sieve.
- For the Fries: Remove the stems and the gills from the bottom of the Portobello mushrooms.
- Cut the mushrooms like steak fries.
- Lightly dust the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix the remaining flour, club soda, eggs and kosher salt to form a batter.
- Dip the Portobello fries in this tempura batter.
- Blanch the fires in the Canola oil at 325 degrees F.
- Drain on a dry towel and let cool.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the blanched fries in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on a dry towel and season with the sea salt.