I created this for Ready Steady Cook and wanted to call it "Guilt Free Cheeseburger" because it is low carb and gluten free,,,but unless it's fat free and vegetarian it's not without sin. But then I never claimed to be completely virtuous. The relish can be made well in advance and can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. I love the flavour of chilli but I don't like the heat to overpower the taste so I have only used mild chilli flakes, however if you prefer you can increase the amount or even use a hotter chilli. *Only use the stalks of the mushrooms in the main meat mixture, the actual mushrooms are the bun.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula leaf, washed
- garlic oil (Retained from mushrooms )
- 540 g beef tips (stewing steak)
- 1 ounce coriander, chopped
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, cubed
- 8 portabella mushrooms, finely chopped (stalks only)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk, free-range
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2To make the relish; sauté the onions in the oil over a medium heat.
- 3When the onions have softened, approximately 10 mins, add the garlic and sauté for another ten mins, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the chilli flakes, bbq and Worchester sauce mix and continue to cook on a medium heat for a further 5 minutes.
- 5Season to taste and set aside.
- 6Wipe clean the mushrooms of any debris(don't wash).
- 7Remove stalks and set aside for the burgers.
- 8Combine the oil and garlic together.
- 9Brush the mushrooms inside and out with the garlic oil (any remaining oil should be kept to dress the Arugula).
- 10Place the mushrooms CAP SIDE UP on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- 12Place the steak in a food processer or mincer and process until finely minced.
- 13Place minced steak, chopped onion, mushroom, mustard, egg yolk, olive oil and seasoning in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- 14Using your hands, shape into four equal-sized patties, make a slight indentation in the centre of the patty And place about an ounce of cheese in the indent, bring the mixture around to cover the cheese and reflatten slightly ensuring all the cheese is covered. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- 15Cook the burgers under the grill for 15 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once.
- 16To assemble, place a mushroom CAP SIDE DOWN on a serving dish.
- 17Lightly dress the arugula in the garlic oil retained from the mushrooms, take a small handful and place on the mushroom.
- 18Add a burger, then relish and top with another burger CAP SIDE UP.
- 19Repeat with remaining burgers and serve hot with salad and fries.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portobello Cheeseburger With Sweet Onion Relish
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.9
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 500.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried mild red chili peppers