Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by amie atwood
I love these. My family went vegetarian 8 months ago and I have had a ball finding new things to cook. These burgers are outstanding. It is a pesto topped portobello with smokey cheese YUM. I used smoked muenster and it was devine. Thanks NurseDi for posting this
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb fresh smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 cup pignoli nut
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce or 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in oil and mushroom caps.
- Season mushrooms with steak seasoning and saute 5 minutes on each side.
- Add in vinegar and coat the mushrooms in it.
- When the vinegar has evaporated, turn mushrooms cap side up and cover with sliced cheese.
- Turn off heat and cover pan with foil; let stand 2-3 minutes for cheese to melt.
- To make the sauce: add basil, parsley, capers, pignoli, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor; pulse grind, until finely chopped and scrape into a bowl; stir in oil, salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Slather bun tops with green sauce; pile portobellos on bun bottoms and top with red onion slices and lettuce; cover with bun tops and serve.