Prep 18 mins
Cook 17 mins
Oh, I think you're gonna like this!! Adapted from Southern Living magazine. If you can't grill outside, use your grill pan indoors.
- 6 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- cooking spray (garlic flavored works great)
- 6 hamburger buns
- 3 small avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 small avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- Coat the mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion with cooking spray.
- Grill onion, covered with grill lid, over medium high heat(350* to 400*) 8 minutes on each side. Grill mushroom 5 minutes on each side(or you may roast in a 425*F. oven). Place bell peppers on grill, skin side down, and grill 4-5 minutes or until skin is blistered(if you can't find fresh red bell peppers, you can buy them already roasted in jars). See note.
- Peel the bell peppers, and cut into strips.
- Avocado Mayonnaise: Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill 2 hours, if desired. Makes 1 cup.
- Spread the avocado mayonniase on cut sides of buns: place on cooking grate, and grill 1 minute. Place mushrooms, bell pepper strips, and onion evenly on bottom halves of buns. Top each with avoado slices and top bun halves.
- Note: To grill onion, push water soaked skewers crosswise through the whole onion at 1/2" intervals. Slice between skewers and place skewered slcies on grill.
I am rating just the mayo! I agree with the previous comments.....definately a 10!!! If you love avocado, you will become addicted to this!
"Superb!" says Buddha (who is our only mushroom and avocado lover, and thereby was made just for him). :) He said the avocado mayo is a 10 star sauce and said he would use it as a dipping sauce. When I asked him "Like a sauce for veggies you mean?" he replied "Like a sauce for my fingers!" lol. *Its that good* he says. Everything was perfect, and this is a definite keeper recipe for him! Thanks for sharing! :)