Recipe by JanuaryBride
A quicky and hearty vegetarian open-faced sandwich. Roast veggies, great bread and gouda cheese???? Sounds great to me! Recipe from Martha Stewart.
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets (stalk discarded)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt and pepper
- 4 portabella mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick (stems removed)
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss broccoli with oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Broil, tossing once or twice, until broccoli begins to char, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers to sheet; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Broil, tossing once or twice, until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Place bread on a work surface. Dividing evenly, spread with mayonnaise mixture, and top with vegetables, then cheese.
- Place on baking sheet, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.