Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe from wholefoodsmarket.com and placed here for safe keeping. It has gotten great reviews on their website. Cooking time is actually marinating time.
- 4 (5 inch) portabella mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings, juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 pieces green leaf lettuce
- Using a small spoon, delicately scoop out and discard the dark brown gills from the underside of each mushroom. Wipe mushrooms gently with a moist paper towel to remove any remaining debris then transfer to a wide, shallow baking dish along with the pineapple rings.
- Put 3/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice (save remaining for another use), soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil into a small bowl and whisk together to make a marinade.
- Pour marinade over mushrooms and pineapple, cover and set aside, turning occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours.
- Grease grill grates with canola oil and preheat to medium high heat. Meanwhile, drain leftover marinade from mushrooms and pineapple and transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium high heat. In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch then whisk into marinade and boil until thickened, about 1 minute more; set aside.
- Working in batches, grill mushrooms and pineapple, gently flipping once, until hot throughout and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to buns, top with lettuce and serve with teriyaki sauce on the side, if you like.