2 hrs 20 mins
Recipe from wholefoodsmarket.com and placed here for safe keeping. It has gotten great reviews on their website. Cooking time is actually marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (5 inch) portabella mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings, juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 1Using a small spoon, delicately scoop out and discard the dark brown gills from the underside of each mushroom. Wipe mushrooms gently with a moist paper towel to remove any remaining debris then transfer to a wide, shallow baking dish along with the pineapple rings.
- 2Put 3/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice (save remaining for another use), soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil into a small bowl and whisk together to make a marinade.
- 3Pour marinade over mushrooms and pineapple, cover and set aside, turning occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours.
- 4Grease grill grates with canola oil and preheat to medium high heat. Meanwhile, drain leftover marinade from mushrooms and pineapple and transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium high heat. In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch then whisk into marinade and boil until thickened, about 1 minute more; set aside.
- 5Working in batches, grill mushrooms and pineapple, gently flipping once, until hot throughout and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Transfer to buns, top with lettuce and serve with teriyaki sauce on the side, if you like.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portobello and Pineapple Teriyake Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.0
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 962.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: