Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Careful... this one causes cravings! This cake recipe is super light, moist, and not too sweet. It is a perfect base to dump the best frosting, fudge, or chocolate all over it. It makes great cupcakes too! The recipe was labeled as a copycat for Portillo's (this ones all over the net so I can't credit anyone). Whether it is a good copy I'm not sure... but it makes a darn good cake.
- 1 betty crocker super moist chocolate butter recipe cake mix (gotta be butter recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (not light)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 2 round cake pans (or your choice of pan; cupcakes works great too).
- Beat all ingredients for 4 minutes (makes it fluffy).
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Follow baking instruction on box for your choice of pan, elevation, etc.
- Use toothpick to check for doneness.
Luuluu is correct the cake mix is Betty Crocker. Seems like yesterday when I was making this cake at the restaurant. This cake is SUPER DELICIOUS....The lemon cake is also divine!
A not from someone who knows - Portillos's actually uses Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake mix (yes, super moist). The photo doesn't bear any passing resemblance to a Portillo's Chocolate cake...but I'm sure it's good nonetheless...
There are so many excellent chocolate cake recipes on Recipezaar and this recipe should rate up there with the best. The cake turned out so soft and tender and completely delicious. I used a Duncan Hines chocolate butter fudge recipe mix. This is my first attempt at a mayonnaise cake. I froze most of the cake to keep myself from over eating now and so that I'll have a treat in the future.