2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A lovely cake perfect for any time, but especially for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. Courtesy of Irish Puddings, Tarts, Crumbles, and Fools as published in our local paper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 lb butter, cut into slices
- 3 cups golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped candied citron peel
- 1/3 cup candied cherry
- 1 1/4 cups porter or 1 1/4 cups stout beer
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 2Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- 3Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- 4Cut in butter to make a fine crumb; add fruit.
- 5In a small bowl, whip porter (or stout) with eggs.
- 6Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Turn mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 2 1/2 hours.
- 7Cool in the pan, remove parchment paper, then store cake in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.6
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 126.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel