Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These cookies are made with cream and fresh strawberries just like shortcakes! And you can carry them to your eating site. How clever are these! The cookies are tender and yummy. Recpe is from Martha Stewart.
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 9 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cold (6 tablespoons)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine strawberries with lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 7 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers untill mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
- Using a 1-1/2 inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar (coarse sugar) and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 24-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Cookies are best if eaten immediately but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.