Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Makes a nice light sandwich that is refreshing in taste. Add some monterrey jack cheese for a little extra kick!
- 8 medium portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 pita bread rounds or 4 nane lavash bread, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 cups mesclun
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place the mushrooms, gill side up, on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt.
- Pour mixture over mushrooms, making sure it pools up over gills.
- Allow to marinate for 30 minutes, turning a few times during marination and brushing the tops with marinade.
- While mushrooms are marinating, whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette and set aside.
- Oil grill or skillet and cook mushrooms about 5 minutes per side, or until the have become slightly crispy.
- Toss mesclun with vinaigrette and set aside.
- Serve two mushrooms (one if they are very large) in warm pita bread or nane lavash (see recipe#37001), along with some dressed meslun.
Yum, these are so good! Loved them, I grilled mine on a charcoal grill where they did get crispy and were so smoky good! I served on tortilla (that was also grilled with a bit of oil), because I didn't have a pita, and wanted to eat one anyway! Loved it!! Thanks for posting!
A good little sandwich. My portobello's didn't get crispy, rather stayed firm and charred a bit... but that was ok. I made this is 2 segments... lunch one day and lunch the next. On day one, I followed the recipe exactly and found that I wanted a more lemony kick on the mushrooms to balance the strong taste of the olive oil and garlic. So, on day 2, I added the zest of one lemon and 1/2 tsp cracked pepper to the marinade and the flavor was much improved. The vinaigrette is simple and light, though I needed to add cracked pepper to suit my taste. Also, I found that slicing the grilled mushrooms made for easier eating of this simple pita sandwich.