1/3 Photos of Portabella Wellingtons
1 hr 5 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
Got this from vegweb.com I didn't do it exactly as the recipe says, I changed a few things to suit my tastes. I also doubled the recipe. The taste of this is really good. To make it really special add a little wine for added flavor when cooking the veggie and sprinkle a little cheese on top of the filling before topping with the puff pastry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy margarine (or light oil if you prefer for sauteing)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 large leeks or 2 small leeks, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- fresh thyme (I used about 4 sprigs)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped, without stems*
- salt and pepper
- 2 large portabello mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 1Melt 1 Tbsp soy margarine in a skillet over low heat. Stir in the shallot, leek, and garlic and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the button mushrooms and about half the thyme.
- 2Cook until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mixture is just moist (about 10 minutes). Transfer mixture to a bowl. Melt the remaining margarine in the skillet, still over low heat, and add the shitakes.
- 3Cook for 5 minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the rest of the mixture. Add chives and black pepper and stir.
- 4Next place your Portabello caps on a greased cookie sheet. Brush on the mustard and add the remaining thyme and black pepper. Take your topping mixture and spoon half onto each Portabello cap.
- 5Cut two large rounds out of the puff pastry sheet and drape over the Portabello topping. You can brush some melted soy margarine on the outside of the pastry if you want to. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees until the pastry looks done (about 15 minutes in my oven).
- 6This dish takes a while to make with all the chopping and sautéing, but the result is an elegant main dish perfect for a special occasion (for example this would be good to celebrate an anniversary). I serve it with a side of basil green beans and a nice vegan wine.
- 7Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portabella Wellingtons
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 820.0
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 450.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 12.6 g