Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great light salad! We usually have this as the main course with some whole grain bread. Fabulous! Can be made on outdoor or indoor grill. Prep time includes time to marinade.
- 6 portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano (more if fresh)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (more if fresh)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion (medium, thickly sliced)
- 6 cups salad greens
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Remove mushrooms stems and discard. Cut mushrooms into slices.
- Combine vinegar, herbs, garlic and salt. Pouring in a steady stream, whisk in olive oil. Reserve 1/4 cup for dressing. Place mushrooms in dressing and marinade for one hour.
- Preheat grill to medium. Brush onion with oil and grill 10 minutes, turning once.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together greens, tomatoes and dressing. Divide onto 6 salad plates and top wth mushroom slices.
- Note: the mushrooms themselves can also be grilled, but it gives a different taste to the salad.