Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I couldn't find a good recipe for a vegetarian version of stroganoff, so I altered a beef stroganoff recipe to make it vegetarian. Very good recipe and a lot of ways to change it to make it suit your tastes!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white button mushrooms, chopped. (6 oz. or so)
- 3 large portabella mushroom caps (about 3/4 a pound (or more)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup soy yogurt
- Chop portobello caps into 1 inch cubes.
- Saute mushrooms (both types) in butter in skillet over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, ketchup, onions, garlic, and salt to skillet.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more.
- Mix vegetable seasoning and flour in a small container.
- Add flour mixture gradually into mushroom mixture, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream (or alternative).
- Serve over noodles (or rice, but I prefer noodles, especially yummy egg noodles!).
Excellent! Rich, delicious and so easy to make. I think I prefer this to regular beef stroganoff. I wasn't sure what vegetable seasoning was so I used basil and used zucchini in place of the white mushrooms. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll be making it again.
I bought some portabella mushroom and came to find a recipe to use them. I made a few tweaks. I used chicken reduced-sodium loose bouillon to make the broth, and again instead of the veg seasoning. I used a butter-flavored cooking spray to lighten it up. I added more garlic (can't help it, garlic is a favorite here), and fat free sour cream. I had to add a half cup of water with the flour because it had cooked dry, but it worked just fine. The BEST part of this whole thing is that only 2 Points if you are on Weight Watchers! I served it over whole-grain rotini and it was delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!
Loved this! It was so easy to make and the flavor was outstanding. I made it vegan using olive oil and vegan sour cream. Still excellent and was enjoyed by all!