Recipe by Derf
Delicious, mouthwatering side dish or serve alone for lunch.
Top Review by Bergy
I have just finished a wonderful Brunch thanks to this Portobello Stack recipe. Very easy recipe if you follow the clear instructions, I made them up first thing in the AM and popped them in the oven 23 minutes before serving. Lovely blend of spices, soy & cheese with the tomatoe & mushroom. The oven time is just right the asparagus bits are hot but still crunchy. I cut back on the asparagus (4 spears for 2 portobello) because it was for a brunch sidedish if it were for a dinner sidedish I would use the whole amount. Beautiful presentation with the golden cheese finish. I served these with individual omelettes, M & M lean sauage BBQ'd, 12 grain toast. What a feast - this will be a definate repeat! Thankyou for a truly great recipe
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 large portabella mushroom, about 4 inches across, stem removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- dried thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Snap tough ends off asparagus, set aside 2 whole spears, chop the remaining asparagus.
- Combine chopped asparagus, ricotta cheese, soy sauce and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; Set aside.
- Clean mushroom and carefully remove stem.
- Slice the tomato, nice thick slices.
- To build the stack: Build the stack as the bottom of the mushroom browns.
- Rub butter on a non-stick ovenproof fry pan, heat on the top of the stove, and place mushroom, top down in fry pan.
- Sprinkle with salt, thyme and a few grains of reserved cayenne pepper.
- Place one tomato slice on top of mushroom and sprinkle with salt, thyme and a few more grains of reserved cayenne pepper.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mixture evenly on the tomato slice; place another tomato slice on top of the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt, thyme and remaining few grains of cayenne pepper.
- Place the reserved 2 whole asparagus spears on top of the tomato slice, cutting the broken ends to fit.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place on middle rack in a 400°F oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through and the Parmesan is melted.
- Place under broiler for a further 2 to 3 minutes to crisp up the Parmesan cheese.
- Make one or repeat to make more.