Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have no idea where this recipe came from but I found it and played with it over the years. This is a really good hearty soup. It's pretty impressive as a first course for a dinner party, and equally perfect for a hearty lunch. Minimum effort and maximum reward.
- Put the strip of bacon in a heavy bottomed medium sized sauce pan and fry on medium heat until crisp.
- Add the leeks and cook until softened, on low heat. Add a splash of water if they are sticking or starting to brown. Stir often. Once softened, add the mushrooms and cook for another 20 mins, until softened. Stir frequently.
- Add the red wine and simmer for about 5 minutes. Either add 2 cups of homemade chicken stock or, add 2 cups of water and the stock cube to the pot and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Taste broth to check if it needs salt.
- Put the soup into the blender and blend on “chop” for 30 seconds or until the soup is pureed.
- Add in ½ c . sour cream and blend on “stir” for 10 seconds. Pour into soup bowls. Sprinkle the top of each soup with ¼ Celsius feta.
Excellent! Definitely a keeper. Next time I will double the batch so we can have seconds. I used my homemade chicken stock so there was no need to add salt to the broth. The wine I used was a very nice little 2000 Haut Medoc, then we drank the rest with soup. Finished off this meal with some toasted slices of Chef Marg@Cayman Designs Whole Wheat French Bread Whole Wheat French Bread which has become our favorite. This soup was easy to make and has lots of flavor. This would be an excellent soup to serve as a first course for any dinner party. Thanks for posting.