Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I can remember that the first time I ever ate this sandwich I was amazed by how delicious it was. It has since become one of my favorite sandwiches, so I thought I'd share it with you!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine
- 2 portabella mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, and thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices thick multi-grain bread or 4 slices Italian bread
- 1 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 10 arugula leaves
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add mushroom slices and sautee until brown and juicy (about 10 minutes). Add salt and cool.
- Combine lemon juice and pepper (it's also good with a little melted butter mixed in).
- Pour mixture over lightly toasted bread. Add mushroom, tomato, and arugula, and top with remaining bread.
This was a very tasty sandwich! I wasn't sure when to add the garlic, so I added it to the pan about a minute or two before the mushrooms were done which seemed to work nicely. I also misread when to add the lemon; I added it to the pan of mushrooms instead of pouring it over the bread. It turned out wonderful, though! Really great flavor and very healthy. We used seven-grain bread - delish!