Recipe by Outta Here
A healthier hearty pizza with a whole wheat crust made in bread machine.
Top Review by IngridH
Yum! I'm eating this pizza as I write, and it is just outstanding! When I went to start the dough, I found that the gremlins had only left me 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, so I used that plus 2 1/2 cups bread flour. To compensate, I dropped the yeast to 2 1/4 teaspoons. As noted in the directions, I had to add a little water to get the dough to the right consistancy, today it took almost 2 tablespoons, but I added a teaspoon at a time, until it looked like a nice, smooth ball. Beautiful dough, it was so easy to work with! Today I was cooking for one, so I only rolled out half of the dough to make a smaller pizza. I don't have the same kind of pan that you do, I was baking on a pizza stone, so I sprinkled cornmeal on the back of a sheet pan, and assembled my pizza there before sliding it onto the preheated stone. I got a nice, chewy, thick crust with excellent flavor. I could use this recipe for plain flatbread, and be perfectly happy with it. For the toppings, I used two cremini mushrooms instead of the portobello (same 'shroom, just smaller), and in addition to the ingredients you called for, I added a sliced fig, fresh from the garden. I loved all of it! The rosemary is a nice background flavor that complements the cheeses and vegetables; the fig gave a really nice sweet note. Coming out of the oven, this was just beautiful- the edges of the goat cheese were lightly browned, and the crust was perfectly golden- crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside. I always thought pizza was a hassle to make at home, but I will definitely make this one again. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe!
- 1 cup water (more may be needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust:.
- Put ingredients into bread machine in order manufacturer calls for.
- Select dough cycle. (Knead and first rise only) Add more water, a teaspoon at a time, if needed, to make dough form a smooth ball.
- After machine finishes, remove dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface, to a circle, to fit 15" pizza pan. Spray pan and put crust on it. ( I have great success with Airbake Pizza Pan).
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbls. olive oil in skillet and saute onion and mushroom, with rosemary, until onions are soft. Stir in salt and pepper, and remove from heat and cool.
- Drain off liquid and save for use in soup or pasta sauce.
- To make pizza:.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush crust with remaining 2 tbls. oil. Spread mushrooms and onions over crust. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is deep brown and topping is bubbling hot.