Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A great starter from an old magazine.
- 12 portabella mushrooms, 3 to 4 inches in diameter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced thin
- 6 ounces diced cooked smoked ham or 6 ounces sausage or 6 ounces hard salami
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 3⁄4 cup romano cheese or 3⁄4 cup provolone cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch fresh thyme or 1 pinch oregano or 1 pinch basil
- Heat oven to 350º.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Remove stems from the portabellos. Arrange stem side up on the baking sheet.
- Divide and layer garlic, tomatoes, meat, cheese, and seasonings among the 12 caps in that order.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and browned.
I cook these on a bbq grill with great success! Can be assembled in advance and transported to the park/beach/tailgate party to be cooked.