Recipe by SharonB
My husband and I came up with this one day when we found ourselves with a few too many mushrooms on hand. A true low carb pizza. Delicious appetizer or great main dish.
Top Review by karen in tbay
I love portabello and we had 2 in the fridge and your recipe was excellent. We used a pork sausage and our cheese was a mixture of 5 or 6 odds/ends of blocks of various gouda, cheddar, mozz, asiago. Would def repeat again.
- 8 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce or 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Wash mushrooms. Remove, save and chop stems.
- Brown the Italian sausage.
- Add chopped mushrooms, pepper and onion and cook until soft.
- Spread each inverted mushroom cap with 1 T. marinara sauce.
- Fill with sausage and vegetable mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each with tomato slice and 2 T. mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle each with 1 T. Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Be creative. Use your favorite pizza toppings.