Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This can be made with regular white mushrooms as well.
- 1 whole wheat pita bread, with pocket sliced in half
- 1 portabella mushroom, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons gouda cheese or 2 tablespoons havarti cheese or 2 tablespoons monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook onion and green pepper in oil until almost tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- When vegetables are ready add cheese and heat until just melted.
- Fill pita bread with mixture.
Delicious, though I modified it a bit and made a pita pizza! Started out by sauting the porabella's first in olive oil and then the red pepper, onions and a garlic clove. Added a bit of italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Put the mushroom mixture on the pita, topped with cheddar and baked at 500 in a toaster oven for 10 mins. Like the idea of adding a splash of wine and will try that another time.
Wow! This was really good! I had something similar at restaurants, but this far surpasses. I followed the recipe to a T and used Jack cheese. I didn't coursely chop the mushroom, instead, I sliced it in strips. It is quick, easy and definitely yummy! Thanks, Fluffy for something quick and wonderful to make for lunch or a light supper! Edited to add: Dh was hungry when he came home from work at 1 am, so I whipped up another batch. Only thing different I did was add a splash of red cooking wine when it was nearly done, mixed and let reduce. It added a nice flavor. DH loved it and asked for seconds! This is a keeper!