Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe in BBC’s Olive magazine, September 2007.
Make and share this Portabella Pesto Mushroom Melts recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly pan spray or oil-mist a pan large enough to hold all the mushrooms without them touching. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from the portobello. If you prefer to do so, you may also use a spoon to gently remove the gills of the mushrooms. Gently wipe the mushrooms clean with a mushroom brush or a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix 1 Tbsp olive oil together with the pesto.
- Put the mushrooms, cap side down, in the prepared pan. Cut or tear (tearing preferred) the cheese into pieces and divide between the mushrooms.
- Evenly drizzle the pesto mixture over the mushrooms and cheese, then distribute the pine nuts over all.
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
- While mushrooms are baking, lightly toast the focaccia or ciabatta bread.
- Transfer a baked mushroom to each slice of bread, and enjoy!
- Note: also good on these are thin slices of Japanese eggplant. (See recipe #114768.).