Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wait til you taste this sandwich - it is hearty enough to serve for dinner. I have said serves 4 but it depends on your appetite. Recipe is from the column "The Chopping Block" by Philomena Corradeno tweaked by Bergy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stem & gills removed
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, 1/4 inch slices, the cheese is to fit inside the mushroom caps
- 1 rosemary focaccia bread or 1 herb focaccia bread
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce, homemade or 1⁄4 cup store bought pesto sauce
- 4 slices tomatoes (thick slices)
- lettuce (to garnish)
- salt & pepper
- Brush the mushrooms with oliveoil and grill or broil them , cap side down until they are brown & cooked.
- Turn them over and place a slice of cheese in each cap, cook until the cheese starts to soften.
- While the mushrooms are cooking warm the foccacia bread.
- Cut the foccacia bread in two so you have a large hamburger bun.
- Place the portabellos on the bottom half of the bread, divide the pesto between the 4 caps, top with tomato slices, add lettuce, cover with top half of the bread and cut into 4 pices.