Mrs B's Note:
Pastilla is a North African pie. Traditionally the main ingredient is chicken, but I've developed a vegetarian version that keeps the unusual combination of savoury and sweet flavours. The recipe incorporated other adjustments to fit RSC 2005, but these are still be within the origins of this dish. Soaking time for the dried fruit is not included. I've edited this to read better for for Zaar World Tour 2005!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (about 250g)
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup dried apricot, whole
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus extra to decorate
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 (200 g) package phyllo dough (fresh not frozen sheets)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Soak the dried apricots and raisins in the red wine until they plump up, or at least for 1 hour.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large lidded frying pan, stir the cumin seeds and 1 tsp dried coriander into the oil and allow spices to sizzle for a few seconds before adding the onion; fry gently until the onion just begins to soften.
- 3Add the mushrooms to the pan, stir, then place the lid on the pan; leave the mixture to cook on a low heat for 3 to 5 minutes until the mushroom slices soften and start to absorb the oil.
- 4Remove pan from heat, then pour the fruity wine mixture over the contents of the frying pan; return the pan to the heat, replace lid and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Take the lid off the pan and continue cooking the mushroom mixture, taking care not to let the contents of the pan dry out completely (but feel free to add a drop of water - or more wine - if it does look too dry!); remove pan from the heat when the juices and wine have reduced down to a sauce that coats the mushroom mixture; replace pan lid and set the mixture aside.
- 6Melt the 1/4 cup of butter and brush some over the surface of a straight sided round baking tin, measuring 2 inches deep and 7 inches across.
- 7Reserving a few sheets of phyllo for the top of the pie (keep them covered until you are ready to close up the pie) line the tin with the phyllo, brushing each sheet with the melted butter (but remembering to save some for the top of the pies) and placing sheets evenly round the tin and so that they overhang the edges; the base and sides of the pie should be leak-proof.
- 8Spoon the mushroom mixture into the pie shell.
- 9Beat the eggs, heat the remaining 1 tbsp butter in a pan, add the eggs and scramble them lightly; remove from the heat while they are still slightly runny and stir in a good 'grind' of black pepper; pour the scrambled eggs over the mushroom mixture in the pie shell.
- 10Mix the powdered sugar and toasted flaked almonds together with the remaining 1tsp of dried coriander; sprinkle it evenly over the scrambled egg.
- 11Now finish constructing the pie by bringing the edges of the phyllo sheets up over the top of the pie, brushing them with the melted butter as you work; tuck the last sheets of phyllo over the top of the pie, score a diamond pattern with a sharp knife then brush with last drops of melted butter.
- 12Cook the pie in a preheated oven at 375°F/190°C for about 20 minutes until the top is is golden.
- 13Remove from the tin carefully and dust lightly with powdered sugar.
- 14NB: This recipe measures in Australian cups, which at 250 ml per cup, are a bit bigger than American cup sizes; there shouldn't be a noticeable difference, especially for the 1/4 cup measurements, but if you are using an American cup you might like to be slightly generous in your measuring.
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portabella Pastilla
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.6
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 249.6 mg
- Sodium 422.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 14.5 g