1/2 Photos of Portabella Mushroom Pasta Toss
Rich, hearty, vegan fare that even carnivores will go wild over. Serve with crusty grilled Italian bread for a unique indulgence.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed or chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 portabella mushroom caps, scrubbed and sliced into strips or diced
- fresh basil, snipped, to taste
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (make sure it's cheeseless) or 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (make sure it's cheeseless)
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 1Place 5 quarts of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and add salt if desired. Add pasta and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- 2In a second large pot, heat olive oil. Add red onion and stir until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook for one minute, being careful not to burn it.
- 3Add mushrooms and cook until they are cooked down and softened. Add marinara and basil. Let the flavors cook together for 10 minutes.
- 4When pasta finishes cooking, drain well, reserving a few tablespoons of the pasta water. Add pasta and small amount of pasta water to sauce.
- 5Garnish with coarsely chopped or whole leaf basil. Mangia!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portabella Mushroom Pasta Toss
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.1 mg
- Sodium 876.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 23.0 g