Recipe by onoffvegan
Rich, hearty, vegan fare that even carnivores will go wild over. Serve with crusty grilled Italian bread for a unique indulgence.
Top Review by Outta Here
Very hearty and filling! Also very quick and easy after a long work day. I used whole wheat rotini, but would be good on any pasta! I also had to use dried basil, as I wasn't going to pay what they wanted for fresh at the store. I will try this again when I have some fresh basil in the garden. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed or chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 portabella mushroom caps, scrubbed and sliced into strips or diced
- fresh basil, snipped, to taste
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (make sure it's cheeseless) or 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (make sure it's cheeseless)
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta, any shape
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 5 quarts of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and add salt if desired. Add pasta and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- In a second large pot, heat olive oil. Add red onion and stir until lightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook for one minute, being careful not to burn it.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they are cooked down and softened. Add marinara and basil. Let the flavors cook together for 10 minutes.
- When pasta finishes cooking, drain well, reserving a few tablespoons of the pasta water. Add pasta and small amount of pasta water to sauce.
- Garnish with coarsely chopped or whole leaf basil. Mangia!