Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
a great sandwich for vegans and vegetarians.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta, halved and split lenghtwise
- 12 leaves arugula
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350.
- in a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with vinegar and salt.
- Place the mushroom slices on a baking sheet and brush with the mixture.
- Roast until the mushrooms are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Brush the red pepper with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Hold the pepper with a long fork over an open flame, or roast under the broiler, turning often, until the skin gets black on all sides.
- This will take about 7 to 10 minutes over the flame and about 10 minutes in the broiler.
- Put the pepper in a paper bag and close tightly to steam it.
- When the pepper is cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and remove the seeds and stem.
- Slice the pepper into strips.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the ciabatta halves with mayo.
- Layer with the arugula leaves and read pepper slives, and top with the portobello slices to cover the length of the sandwiches.
- Spread the remainder of the mayo on the other sides of the bread and serve immediately.