Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Pleasures magazine. This is divine on crackers. It is best with portobello mushrooms, but I have also made it with regular button mushrooms. I have also used white onions or vedalia onions.
- Chop mushrooms, onion and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low heat. Add cooking sherry. Simmer about 25-30 minutes, until the mushrooms are very soft and most of the liquid is gone.
- Put into a food processor. Add the sage, salt and corn syrup. Pulse until coarsely chopped, not pureed.
- If there is too much liquid, you can return it to the skillet, over medium low until it reaches desired consistency.
- Cover & refreigerate (I can't ever wait long enough!) Serve at room temperature with crackers.