Recipe by Feej
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Pleasures magazine. This is divine on crackers. It is best with portobello mushrooms, but I have also made it with regular button mushrooms. I have also used white onions or vedalia onions.
Top Review by Carol B.
I had portabella mushrooms that needed to be used and went looking for an appetizer recipe to enjoy while watching the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Winter Olympics. I am so glad I chose this one!!! I made it exactly like the recipe except for reducing the olive oil and adding a little more garlic. This was SO GOOD and we will definitely be enjoying this again!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop mushrooms, onion and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low heat. Add cooking sherry. Simmer about 25-30 minutes, until the mushrooms are very soft and most of the liquid is gone.
- Put into a food processor. Add the sage, salt and corn syrup. Pulse until coarsely chopped, not pureed.
- If there is too much liquid, you can return it to the skillet, over medium low until it reaches desired consistency.
- Cover & refreigerate (I can't ever wait long enough!) Serve at room temperature with crackers.