Portobellos breaded with Panko. From Down Home with the Neely's.
Make and share this Portabella Mushroom Fries recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmigiano, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko.
- Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray.
WOW! I think this is my new favorite recipe on Zaar. I made these last night for dinner and had my mom over. Both my mom and my BF were sneaking in the kitchen grabbing handfuls before the rest of the meal was even done. I forgot to pick up panko when I was at the store so I just used regular bread crumbs and cooked mine on the stove top. This one is DEFINITELY going into regular rotation. My BF who is very stingy about giving 5 stars said this was a 10. Thanks so much for posting.
I made these recently, and they came out great! I don't have a deep fryer, so I just put oil in my stir fry pan and made them that way. Definitely would recommend this recipe to others.
I saw the Neely's making these, and they looked great! And they ARE great! The only thing I did different was adding some garlic powder. Oh, and I don't have a deep-fryer so I did them on the stove-top, which took just a bit longer.
Thanks for sharing!