1/1 Photo of Portabella Mushroom Caviar
This makes a great spread for toast, pita crisps, zucchini rounds, or endive! From Great Good Food! Russian in origin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions, green parts only, chopped fine (scallions)
- 1/2 lb portabella mushroom, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes (or use baby portobellos, also known as cremini)
- 5 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm up 1 teaspoons of olive oil and saute the green onion for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- 2Heat the remaining oil. Add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme; saute until tender. Don't overcrowd the pan, or mushrooms will be poached. Work in 2 batches.
- 3Move the green onions and mushrooms to a food processor. Use the pulse button, and process until coarsely chopped(not mushy!). Don't overprocess.
- 4Return the mushrooms to the pan. Add lemon juice, vinegar, and pepper. Saute over medium high heat until the liquid has evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
- 5Serve in a small crock as a spread for toast, pita crisps, veggies, lettuce, etc. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portabella Mushroom Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.1
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 7.8 g