Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
NUMMY! Great party pleaser.
Top Review by Starrynews
Lovely variation - the blend of flavors was very good! I used a little more pesto, omitted the salt and oil, and used honey wheat buns that I had on hand. I added the cheese to the mushrooms a minute before they came off so it would melt. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems removed (4-inch or 10cm)
- d'italiano rosemary crustini hot dog bun (Canadian)
- baby spinach leaves
- asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon pesto sauce
- tomatoes, slices
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high.
- Brush mushroom caps on both sides with olive oil.
- Put mushroom caps stem side down on greased grill; cook with lid down, for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes, till tender.
- Just before mushrooms are ready, split the buns; grill cut sides down, until lightly toasted.
- Brush toasted side of bun each with pesto.
- Pile 1/4 cup lightly packed baby spinach leaves on bottom half of each bun.
- Top each with a mushroom cap, 2 tbsp asiago cheese and 1 tomato slice.
- Replace top of buns.