Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a healthy switch from the traditional burger. These are really soooo good. There are three steps before the grilling but not hard steps.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
BURGER DRIZZLE SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices onions
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- 4 good burger rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a resealable baggie, combine the ingredients for the Marinade.
- Place the 4 slices of onion into the marinade; seal bag; turn to coat.
- Marinade for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the Basting Sauce.
- Brush over both sides of the mushroom caps and set aside.
- In a small saucepan place the ingredients for the Burger Drizzle Sauce; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or till thickened; set aside.
- Drain the marinade from the onion and coat grill with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill.
- Grill onions and mushrooms over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes till tender, turning frequently.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- Drizzle with Burger Sauce.
Everyone loved this, even the so-called mushroom haters were happy. Great source of potassium (more than bananas which you need more in the summertime, or for those still growing (growing pains are a sign of not enough potassium)! I would like to try reducing the oil in the marinade next time. Also wood chips in the grill are important, the outside of the mushroom really takes on that flavor.
This was excellent! The only thing I did different was I marinated the lettuce with the onions for about 10 minutes and cooked them on a Foreman Grill. Definitely will make again - Better than some I've had in restaurants.