Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Where's the beef? No one will miss it with these delictable burgers. Serve on lightly toasted whole wheat rolls with grilled onions for a healthy lunch or dinner meal.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2-4 clove garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 113.39 g sliced provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- romaine lettuce leaf (optional)
- sliced grilled onion (optional)
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Cut stems off of mushrooms and place smooth side up in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the marinade by whisking together the vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the mushrooms on the preheated grill, reserving the marinade for basting
- Grill mushrooms for 5 to 8 minutes per side, basting frequently with marinade.
- During the last 2 minutes of grilling, top with cheese.
- Serve with the whole wheat rolls and condiments of your choice.
This made a nice tasty lunch! I scaled this down for 1 person.I served this with grilled onions, mustard, and mayo on whole grain bread. I cooked the mushrooms in the frying pan so I could cook the onions with them. Loved the marinade. Thanks Paula!
This was very good! I cooked these in a grill pan on the stove, since it's the middle of winter right now, but they turned out very well and got to cook in the juices. This is a lunchtime keeper! Thanks.
Great! Late Memorial Day morning we suddenly decided to head to my uncle's for a cook out. I needed something I could bring for myself that would be quick and easy and meatless. And that would look good to all the "normal" people who like to tease me lol Threw the marinade together in a container, ran to the store for the mushrooms (just made it) and everything worked out splendidly. I love provolone, but with the balsamic it was perfect. I'll make these again. They're a breeze to throw together last minute, and everyone was rather impressed with how "burgery" they were. (only better!) Thanks Paula!