Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Bruschetta with a change of pace from the everyday.It really is worth making. You can prepare the mushrooms and tomato relish ahead of time and reheat the mushrooms just before serving.
- 6 slices crusty whole wheat bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 portabella mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Toast bread in 350°F oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Rub lightly with garlic clove while still warm.
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms .
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook mushrooms until softened, then add shallots and garlic stirring, until all liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove skillet from heat. Keep mushrooms warm, covered.
- This can be made ahead,refrigerated and reheated at serving time.
- Tomato Relish:.
- Quarter tomatoes; combine with red onion, basil, vinegar, olive oil. Season, to taste, and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Top toasted bread with Sauteed mushrooms, tomato relish, shaved parmesan. Garnish with basil.
i made this recipe awhile back and forgot to review it! was good.. i added some mozarella cheese, as i love cheese!!!! will make again, thanks!
Wow - this was just great! The tomato relish was terrific and went very well with the mushrooms. I left out the shallots and onions, otherwise made just as specified. Loved this dish - thanks for posting the recipe! Made for the Best of 2008 event
Oh my goodness, this was so good! I actually had it for breakfast this morning and was so pleased! Instead of shallots I used red onion, but otherwise followed the recipe. Well, I did half it. Thanks so much Sage!