Recipe by Nanashi
Hearty, tasty, and surprisingly low-calorie. A great appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or when you don't have time to do something fancy but still want to impress yourself or others.
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup wine (have fun with your choice)
- 2 2⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 portabella mushrooms, chopped
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Sweat both the onions in the butter by tossing them in the pan, adding a pinch of salt and pepper, and moving them around until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Increase heat to medium high and add the portabello mushrooms, sautéing until soft (3-5 minutes).
- Mix sugar and thyme with wine and broth, and pour into the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to deglaze.
- Pour the contents of the pot into a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Put the mixture back into the pot, pour in the heavy cream, and simmer until ready to serve. Garnish with parsley.