Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Think fries are best made with potatoes? Try these and you'll change your mind, guaranteed! You will have extra breading to make these fries, which can be stored in an airtight lid in the refrigerator.
- 2 portabella mushrooms
- 118.29 ml sifted all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml egg wash
- canola oil, for frying, heated to 350F
- 453.59 g panko breadcrumbs
- 226.79 g parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 113.39 g romano cheese, finely grated
- 28.34 g freshly grated black pepper
- 28.34 g fresh red pepper flakes
- 59.14 ml finely chopped Italian parsley
- 59.14 ml finely grated lemon zest
- 59.14 ml finely grated orange rind
- Thoroughly mix all breading ingredients and put in an airtight container.
- To make fries, clean mushrooms and then stem.
- Put some of the breading mixture on a place.
- Cut into 1/2 inch thick strips, and dredge in flour and shake off excess.
- Place into egg wash followed by breading.
- Placed breaded strips in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain and serve at once.
I LOVED these!! What a delicious way to serve portabellas. The breading was nice and crispy and it adhered beautifully to the mushroom slices. I loved the zip from the red pepper, too. Next time, I may omit the lemon and orange zest. I liked them, but think the fries would still be excellent without!
Wow, these were just yummy! I left out the red pepper flakes. I did half the recipe. My whole family loved them. Thank you love. I will make this again!