Recipe by love4culinary
Think fries are best made with potatoes? Try these and you'll change your mind, guaranteed! You will have extra breading to make these fries, which can be stored in an airtight lid in the refrigerator.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
I LOVED these!! What a delicious way to serve portabellas. The breading was nice and crispy and it adhered beautifully to the mushroom slices. I loved the zip from the red pepper, too. Next time, I may omit the lemon and orange zest. I liked them, but think the fries would still be excellent without!
- 2 portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup egg wash
- canola oil, for frying, heated to 350F
- 1 lb panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 4 ounces romano cheese, finely grated
- 1 ounce freshly grated black pepper
- 1 ounce fresh red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly mix all breading ingredients and put in an airtight container.
- To make fries, clean mushrooms and then stem.
- Put some of the breading mixture on a place.
- Cut into 1/2 inch thick strips, and dredge in flour and shake off excess.
- Place into egg wash followed by breading.
- Placed breaded strips in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain and serve at once.