Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great way to serve a burger. You will not miss the red meat. They are good enough to convert many die hard red-meat eaters!
- 3⁄4 lb portabella mushroom cap (about 3 large)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 dry vermouth or 1⁄4 white wine or 1⁄4 chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese, if desired
- 4 toasted hamburger buns
- 3 tablespoons mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Scape and discard the dark underbelly of the mushrooms.
- Coarsely chop and process in a processor until finely chopped Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat and add mushrooms.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add 2 Tbs of the spice mix and cook 1 minute.
- Add shallots, ginger and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add vermouth, stir to scrape up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Cook 1 minute or until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat; stir in crumbs.
- Cool completely, about 15 minutes In a large bowl, stir together chicken and mushroom mixture.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Season both sides of the patties with the remaining 1 Tbs spice mix Heat 2 Tbs oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add patties; cook 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink in center, turning once.
- Reduce heat if burgers brown too quickly.
- Top with cheese and cover skillet to melt cheese.
- Serve on toasted buns.
- *Notethe spice mix will provide extra.
- Store at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
I made these for dinner tonight and served them with green beans and fresh fruit as my sides. The spice mix makes quite a lot. I suggest cutting the amounts in half, as we have a lot left over. While the flavor was okay, these burgers are quite time consuming to make and I had trouble getting them to stay together while cooking them. Everyone in my family rated them between 3 and 4 stars.