Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my favorite lunches.
- 3 medium portabella mushrooms
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml water
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 473.18 ml part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet until hot.
- Remove mushroom stems and slice mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cook in skillet until tender and browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and water.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar; remove from heat.
- Gently stir in sliced mushrooms; set aside.
- Place pitas on a large cookie sheet; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Heat pitas until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute vegetables and mushrooms on the pitas; roll each pita into a cone and tightly wrap the bottom half of each with foil to hold shape & prevent leakage.
Definitely 5 star. I seved this for Sunday Brunch along with 2 scrambled eggs - Wonderful. I used lite Harvarti cheese and cut back with the amount. I couldn't roll & wrap it because the pita puffed up so much. Lovely combination of veggies - A do again recipe for sure
Wow, this was SO GOOD. I had 4 huge portabellas to use so I sort of doubled the recipe, using 2 onions and only one pepper since it's what I had. We loved them on the pitas, but we think we'd prefer them on sub rolls. We put italian seasoning on top of the cheese before we baked them. These will definitely be repeated here. Fabulous!