Recipe by iPlayFlonkerton
This is one of my favorite lunches.
Top Review by Bergy
Definitely 5 star. I seved this for Sunday Brunch along with 2 scrambled eggs - Wonderful. I used lite Harvarti cheese and cut back with the amount. I couldn't roll & wrap it because the pita puffed up so much. Lovely combination of veggies - A do again recipe for sure
- 3 medium portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet until hot.
- Remove mushroom stems and slice mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cook in skillet until tender and browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and water.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar; remove from heat.
- Gently stir in sliced mushrooms; set aside.
- Place pitas on a large cookie sheet; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Heat pitas until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute vegetables and mushrooms on the pitas; roll each pita into a cone and tightly wrap the bottom half of each with foil to hold shape & prevent leakage.